This is the last week of the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met. If you haven’t already seen it I strongly urge you to go! It really deserves the rave reviews it has been getting.

I decided to go to the Met this morning not quite expecting the jarring crowds that packed the museum. This was at 11am on a Tuesday morning.

Um, all those people snaking around the first floor balcony? They are waiting to enter the McQueen exhibit. Please note that the actual exhibit is nowhere near this balcony. The waiting time for these poor people at the time this picture was taken was 2 hours 30 minutes.

Okay. I thought, Plan B. Become a member of the museum and skip the line. That took another fifteen minutes as I was not the only one who had this bright idea. Nevertheless, feeling quite smug with myself I went up to the exhibit, bypassing hundreds and hundreds of people waiting in that miserable line only to get to this:

This is the back of the members-only line!

Luckily I only had to wait 20 minutes.

Sadly, I was not allowed to take any pictures. But thanks to the Internet I was quickly able to find my favorite outfit from the exhibit.

Source

Those are microscope slides on the mannequin’s back , painted red to give the sense that there is blood underneath. I think the hematopathologist in me appreciated that! The skirt is made of ostrich feathers that are dyed red. Pretty wild!

It is such an awe-inspiring and creative exhibit. A definite must-see!

Share →

20 Responses to Alexander McQueen Mania!

1. Jess says:

Loved, loved this exhibit! So glad you were able to see it.

2. Melissa says:

My friend made me swear to see it before it closes! looks great. I totally snuck into the tim burton exhibit at the moma by waiting by an exiting and when a security guard opened the door to show someone where the bathroom was, I snuck by.

3. Amy @ Second City Randomness says:

That is so cool! I love exhibits like that… it brings me back to my 6-year-old self- dresses are sooooo pretttttyyyyy….

4. Ameena says:

i would have totally become a member too…just for the line alone. i can't believe there are such a huge mcqueen fans that they would wait in such a long line! people love their fashion, that's for sure.

ps – sorry for the lowercase comment…you know my keyboard issues right now. :)

5. momatthebarre says:

I almost didn't. I read tweets that they closed entry to the exhibit an hour after I left because there were too many people. Waiting time was 3.5 hours!!!

6. momatthebarre says:

The Tim Burton exhibit was so fun! My husband's a MOMA member so we did not have to wait. I wish I could have snuck into the McQueen exhibit. Unfortunately there are lots and lots of security guards so that probably will not work!

7. momatthebarre says:

Some were pretty and some were just bizarre! A lot of the stuff Lady Gaga wears. But just seeing such creativity is so awe-inspiring!

8. momatthebarre says:

No worries about the lower case!
    It's one of those exhibits where I don't think you need to be fashion fan to enjoy. Although I still don't think I would wait 2.5 hours! That is just crazy. I was hyperventilating over the 20 minutes that they made me wait!

9. Lauren says:

Feel so lame that I haven't seen this. I have opted to become a member to skip a line.

10. Cameo Morningstar says:

Wow, gorgeous dress! He was so talented. I really would have liked to see this – but I know I won't make it. Sad. I was a member one year and vowed to go monthly and only ever went the once. I felt like a total tool. At least my membership fee went to a good cause.

11. mealsformiles says:

I waited about 1.5 hours for the exhibit but it was TOTALLY worth it. I thought it was so amazing – he was so inventive, creative and just genius. It's so sad he's gone, because there is truly no other artist like him. He really makes me appreciate fashion as an art, not just clothes we wear, you know?

12. Lamees says:

Went to see Tim Burton exhibit in LA and was awesome! I'm so upset we are going to miss the mcqueen exhibit by a week! there is a beautiful coffee table book on the exhibit that I got for my birthday though – next best thing i guess

13. GLamamom says:

I saw the exhibit on Day 2 and there was no line at all. Early bird gets the couture.

14. Gina says:

Wow, a skirt made from ostrich feathers?! Wild!

In regards to your comment I do think canned fruits are fine, but I highly recommend straining and then rinsing them. You can eliminate almost half of the added sugars! And many canned fruits these days don't have much added sugar to begin with.

15. momatthebarre says:

Oh you're missing out! I would tell you to go this weekend but I fear it will be an absolute madhouse!

16. momatthebarre says:

That happened to me last year. Went to the Met and became a member and then did not go again until the McQueen exhibit 18 months later. Lame.

17. momatthebarre says:

Totally! All the outfits are such works of art, and lets not even begin to discuss the shoes and head-dressing! The kind of amazing mind that comes up with them-its a force to be reckoned with.

18. momatthebarre says:

That was a really fun exhibit. Saw at the MOMA last year. It's a pity you'll miss it but the book is amazing. I bought two of them, one for myself and I figured one would make a great gift for someone!

19. momatthebarre says:

Love that mantra! I have to remember it for the next time!

20. momatthebarre says:

Thanks for your response, Gina. I learn something new everyday reading all these wonderful blogs. I won't shy away from canned fruits anymore the way I used to.