So we had a hurricane this weekend. Sort of. It was more like a torrential downpour. Regardless, like everyone else in the city, I stayed cooped up at home. After twiddling my thumbs for a while I decided that I felt like baking.

So I pored over websites looking for some kind of inspiration, something that would work with ingredients that I already had lying around. I had a lot of coconut flour lying around. Plus I had a ton of baby carrots that promised to go bad very soon.

Enter a recipe for Coconut Carrot Bread.

Granted this recipe called for the use of 2 cups of all-purpose flour. I, however, high on the success of my last baking endeavor, and feeling pretty darn invincible, decided that I was going to substitute the two cups of all-purpose flour with one cup of coconut flour and one cup of whole-wheat flour. I fancied myself quite the bakeress. I would soon learn the error of my ways – my delusions of grandeur.

I popped the concoction into the oven and 60 minutes later had this…

Hmm. Not too bad, I suppose?

Except, once I took it out of the bread pan, it looked like this…

Um, it looks a little crumbly, no? Maybe it would not crumble once I cut into it.

Alas, it did.

Gah!

Next time I am sticking to the recipe. Or I will read the label on the pack of coconut flour which clearly says to substitute only 20% of a recipe’s flour with coconut flour. Not 50%.

On a happier note, it tasted amazing! The crumbly bits actually went went really well in a bowl of milk.

Question: Do substitutions in recipes always work for you? What’s the worst substitution-related disaster you have had?

Share →

16 Responses to Delusions of Grandeur: Baking Misadventures

1. sofia says:

oooh, flaked coconut and coconut flour are very different! careful with your healthy adjustments! i've so been there before and messed up many a cookie trying to make things a bit crunchier. white flour and butter make every dessert better, i don't care what the health nuts/ vegans say :P

2. Cameo Morningstar says:

I ruined a perfectly delicious batch of coconut flour inspired "protein bars" by getting way too heavy handed with liquid stevia. I guess you aren't supposed to bake with it? I will eat pretty much anything in the name of "not going to waste" but even I couldn't get through a bite. Lesson Learned: Stick with the maple syrup, molasses, honey…or sugar, people!

3. momatthebarre says:

The sad thing is, I wasn't even trying to be healthy. I thought I would get more of the coconut flavor! Sigh! You live, you learn. Next time, it's back to whit flour and butter!

4. momatthebarre says:

I haven't used stevia but yes, sugar was probably the way to go!

5. Lauren says:

As sad as it is sometimes we learn about cooking via experimenting. I am not a baker, I don't think I'd have the courage to swap out when things are so technical.

6. Amber says:

I went on a rampage for awhile where I baked with only whole wheat flour…and no one wanted to eat my cardboard crap! I've since learned that whole wheat pastry flour is my friend.

7. Ameena says:

Cooking with new flours is really just difficult. I have tried to substitute things and most of the time they crumble and fall apart. But usually they do taste delicious!

8. —As long as it Tastes great! I'd eat it :) x

9. momatthebarre says:

I don't think I should have been quite that courageous either!

10. momatthebarre says:

Amen to that!

11. momatthebarre says:

Maybe they key to it not crumbling is to add more (or just any) butter!

12. momatthebarre says:

Completely agree. I just won't be able to sell it in that bakery I am planning to own someday!

13. Amy @ Second City Randomness says:

I've definitely swapped out all-purpose for whole wheat before and gotten less than desirable results. Sure, it still tastes ok, but it is never the texture I'm looking for.____Can't hurt to try though, right?

14. Jess says:

I screw up recipes all the time. It's my specialty!

15. momatthebarre says:

You live you learn. I have learned my lesson!

16. momatthebarre says:

Haha! I still have to try your chia pudding recipe. Hmm, maybe I'll make it tomorrow. I am definitely not substituting anything there!